A research study stated that there were 249 drowning deaths and about 551 hospitalisations resulting from non-fatal drowning happenings across between the years 2017 to 2018. Out of this, Swimming pools were identified as the principal location for drowning. Like any personal injury, the Swimming pool accidents can happen without any warning and is generally caused due to negligence by – another person, pool owner, or even the property owner.
What Are The Common Causes Of Swimming Pool Injuries And Losses?
- Wet surfaces that caused the fall
- Negligence of the lifeguard
- Inappropriate maintenance of water levels
- Absence of emergency floatation appliance
- Damaged ladders in pool
- Missing warning signs
Who is at Fault?
When a mishap or death happens in a commercial business space, public area or in another person’s property, the case is categorised under the premises liability law. Yes, the property owner is held responsible if he does not ensure the safety of a person who is entering the premises, this includes even the trespassers. If it is proved that the property owner has failed to meet even the basic requirements, then he can very well be sued for negligence.
What Should You Do In The Event Of A Swimming Pool Accident?
The aftermath followed by the swimming pool accident is critical. It is natural that you might get panicked due to the event, but, the steps that you follow in the event of an accident are important to protect the safety and legal rights of the injured. They are –
- Ensure that everyone around you is safe, if you find anyone to be seriously injured, call an ambulance immediately.
- Take photographs of the accident scene (if you are awake), inside the pool, outside the pool from various angles, as much as you can. This will help your Personal Injury Lawyer Perth to find necessary evidence to get the right claim.
- Gather the contact details and addresses from the eyewitnesses. When your case goes to the court, eye witness of the accident is essential to get the right claim successfully.
- Record the incident. When days pass by, you might not remember every bit of incident that happened on the day of accident, so after an accident, jot down the note quickly. Also, keep back copies of all the paper work connected with the medical treatment, the police report and even prescriptions are important. Also, share a copy of the documented notes to your personal injury lawyer Perth WA for the case proceedings.
- Visit the doctor regularly till you recover fully and follow every step that the doctor asks you to follow. This is a must, because, if you fail to continue your treatment with a certified medical professional, it will have an impact on your claim amount.
- Discuss with a Personal Injury Lawyer Perth, immediately after a swimming pool accident. Getting the help of an expert legal counsel from personal injury law firm Perth is important to protect your rights and get the help your family requires to get the compensation you deserve!